Public Boat Docks in Seeley's Bay

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

No More Dark Mornings of Winter

The sun crept through the curtains very early this morning, bringing me full awake and raring to start my day.  Lately I have been burning more than just the midnight oil and sleeping far too late to get a decent beginning to my days, one can only tolerate decluttering for so long.  Once upon a time I could stay up round the clock but this ole frame of mine won't allow for such behavior anymore, either I go to bed early or I sleep late, but this morning I am up early and have enjoyed my first coffee and read the news, not a bad start to a new day. 
Back in May, 2010 ROSSIE of Fresh Modern Quilts put forth a pledge for us to consider taking - in it she states "The goal of the process pledge is to create a new sensibility in quilting blogs where we don’t just show finishes or occasionally confess about our moments of indecision, but chat openly and often about our works in progress, our inspirations, and our moments of decision. I know that many of us are already posting about our thinking on quilts and the processes involved from start to finish, let's do more!  And let's post about quilts as we work on them.  I want to see more half-done quilts, not just the finished thing with a journal entry about the process." so this morning I thought I would take the pledge. Wanna take it with me?
So, Rossie, you being such a DIY Explorerand keeping this in mind, I thought what the heck, the Quilt experts might burn me at the stake for this, but I just have to go for it. 
Having no expertise in the art of design and without any real planning I began Mr. Bentley's baby quilt.  I had no real idea as to what I wanted it to look like, had all these leftover novelty prints for little men and decided to make use of them.  Eventually when he begins his quest to walk upright he might deign to schlepp this quilt around, he'll want to begin making use of the words that surround his little world and want to know what some things are, with this in mind I wanted to make a sort of eye-spy and just do it. 
I grabbed a bunch of those novelty prints, sat myself down in front of the cutting mat and my sewing machine and this is what I have come up with so far.  Now please remember I am not a designer in any way shape or stretch of anyone's imagination, but for this little boys quilt, well, I am betting that he won't criticize me when he's drooling, dragging, napping or playing on it and just having fun, at least I am hoping he'll like it enough to make it his binky/blankey or whatever it is that little people call those much loved and frayed pieces of cloth!


This is what I accomplished yesterday.  The blues are backwards, possibly I should have begun with the lighter and worked outwards to the darker, but, I was just putting it together, sort of using the "scrappy" idea where you pull from a bag or a container and sew... Odd shape's and doing my best to fit blocks together.  Now that I have one unit made it measures 17" X 16",  I wonder what will happen with this next?  Should I construct another unit the same size, maybe border this unit with a striking red or a bright green?  Stay tuned, possibly this will be my folly or maybe end up looking not too bad.
What do you think, how am I doing?
I would appreciate your comments, constructive or otherwise.
Have yourself a great day, I am off to play with my fabrics. 





0 comments:

Post a Comment

IT IS YOUR TURN so go ahead and tell me what you think!